The Central Sterile Services Department (CSSD) is divided into 5 major areas: decontamination, assembly and processing, sterilizing, sterile storage, and distribution.
The objectives of central service include the following:
1) To provide inventoried supplies and equipment to customer areas.
2) To promote better patient care by providing prompt and accurate service.
3) To provide supplies of sterile linen packs, basins, instruments, and other sterile items.
4) To maintain an accurate record of the effectiveness of the cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing processes.
5) To strive for uniformity and simplicity in the trays and sets that the department provides.
6) To maintain an adequate inventory of supplies and equipment.
7) To monitor and enforce controls necessary to prevent cross infection according to infection control policies.
8) To establish and maintain sterile processing and distribution standards.
9) To operate efficiently to reduce overhead expense.
10) To stay abreast of developments in the field and to implement changes as needed to stay current with new regulations and recommended practices.
11) To review current practice for possible improvements in quality or services provided.
12) To provide consulting services to other departments in all areas of sterile processing and distribution, including in- service education programs, review policies and procedures, and implementation of new processes.